I love hard boiled eggs, but I rarely make them. I hate boiling the water, babysitting the eggs – taking care of them from their journey from ooey-gooey yolk to delightful hard-boiled-ness. I was making them in muffin tins in the oven for a bit, but waiting for the oven to heat up, heating up the house, and sometimes having muffin tins to clean up due to exploding eggs is just not desireable! Enter…the Instant Pot.
I know people have used a 5-5-5 method, but I’ve been using 6-6-6 method. Maybe we can just call it the ~~~ method (squiggle squiggle squiggle) to avoid bad luck 🙂 I love adding these to salad, or mixing with a little miracle whip and salt for a lovely egg salad sandwich. This is also a great recipe to start with if you’re a beginner.
You only need your eggs, water, and ice, ice baby! I use a steamer basket (amazon affiliate link), but it is not required. Have an egg-cellent time making eggs! 🙂
- 1 cup Water
- Add the trivet to the IP insert, and add 1 cup of water.
- Place the eggs on the trivet, or add a steamer basket to put the eggs on.
- Put the lid on and set the valve to sealing.
- Press the "Manual" button, and adjust the time to 6 minutes.
- After the cook time has completed, allow the pressure to naturally release for 6 minutes. Quick release at 6 minutes if the pin has not dropped.
- Add the eggs to a water bath for 6 minutes.
- Remove the eggs.
- Peel and enjoy!
The time does not change for adding more eggs. Cook 4 or cook a dozen - the time remains the same.
Time to come up to pressure: 5 minutes Time to cook: 6 minutes Time to naturally release: 6 minutes Time in ice bath: 6 minutes