Hi everyone! Melissa and I have been on a mini Instant Pot hiatus, but we’re back – yahoodle!!! I’ve been to South Dakota and back TWICE since the last update – AND Melissa got married!! 🙂 We made this Instant Pot shredded chicken and Mediterranean Pita recipe back in JANUARY when I was visiting. We even made a two part video – but alas, they are presently upside-down – zoinks!! I’ll update when/if I can get them edited properly! 🙂
The beauty of this recipe is that you can use the shredded chicken for so many other recipes, not just the Mediterranean pitas! Just think – fresh shredded chicken for things like buffalo chicken wing dip, tacos, chili, soup, picadillo pizza (or just pizza, but this one is fabulous!), sandwiches, casseroles, salads, or even substitute chicken in a lasagna recipe! The possibilities are endless!
*All chicken breasts are not created equal! We have a cook time listed of 20 minutes, plus a natural release (NR) of pressure. If the chicken breasts are thick, it may be best to add a few minutes and pop up to 25 minutes with that same NR.
*Your ingredients may vary for the Mediterranean pitas. If you don’t like olives or artichoke hearts – omit them! I for one do NOT like olives – they are icky patooey to me! But EVERYONE else in my family LOVES them. Everything may be chopped up and mixed together, but they can also be chopped up in little bowls and left a la carte for those who do want them 🙂
The olives and artichoke hearts were left separate, but could have been added with the chopped up onion, tomato and cucumber 🙂 It’s all personal preference! 🙂
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium red onion, choppped
- 3 roma tomatoes (or 1 large tomato), chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 can black olives, chopped
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 1 container of hummus (our was 10 oz and we had plenty left)
- 1 bag shredded lettuce
- Pita bread or pockets
- Place trivet and 1 cup water in the bottom of the Instant Pot insert.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts, and place in an oven safe dish that will fit in your Instant Pot liner (this is using the Pot in Pot method)**
- Press "Manual," 20 minutes, high pressure, and be sure to set your valve to "sealing."
- While the chicken is cooking, chop onion, tomato and cucumber, and add red wine vinegar to taste.
- Slice/chop black olives, and set aside OR add to the onion/tomato/cucumber mixture.
- OPTIONAL: Add feta cheese and drained artichoke hearts to onion/tomato/cucumber mixture.
- When chicken has finished cooking, use a Natural Release to release pressure, then shred with a fork.
- To assemble pita: Spread hummus on pita, add lettuce, chicken, then chopped vegetable mixture with feta cheese, olives, and artichoke hearts (or whatever other Mediterranean inspired ingredients you'd like). ENJOY! 🙂
Pitas could also be toasted lightly or warmed before assembling 🙂 Time to come up to pressure should be 5 minutes, time to cook 20 minutes, natural release time 5-8 minutes = recipe total time 33 minutes.
**Shredded chicken does not require the pot in pot method. The chicken can be cooked directly in the Instant Pot insert with the water, or a broth for more flavor. I prefer it Pot in Pot for serving purposes.
If you have any ingredient edits for this recipe, we’d love to hear from you! There are so many different ways to make these pitas! 🙂