I LOVE picadillo pizza! It is flavorful, and bright – it’s a party in your mouth! But between the chopping, and cooking of the chicken – it would take me what seemed like FOREVER to make! While this is not a one-pot dish, the Instant Pot makes it so much faster! I put the chicken in the pot, and then I cook the pizza crust and chop the remaining ingredients. By the time I finish chopping everything, the chicken is finished, and it makes this a fabulous 30 minute DELICIOUS dish!! 🙂
This was also the first time I used a crust that I had to bake – I usually use a pre-made ready to go crust to shave off some time, but I gave it a shot since the chicken was going to be cooking in the pot. I used the thin crust Pillsbury pizza crust – it is SO GOOD (I might be eating it while I am writing this!!). I baked it for 6 minutes at 400 degrees before adding the toppings and re-baking.
I also grated my own cheese. Downside? I eat more cheese than I grate…. if this is you, already shredded cheese may be best! Have fun with this recipe – add your own twist, change the salsa, change the cheese – whatever it is that you may please. Do not throw away your shot…to be creative (any Hamilton fans out there?)!
Note: I was discussing what a serving size would be with this pizza with my husband, and I hesitantly keyed in 1 slice. He then informed me that he had 4 slices. It really is that good. Cook at your own discretion 🙂
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pizza crust (already made, or dough that needs to be baked)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Place one chicken breast in the instant pot with 1/2-1 cup of water (I tend to make at least 2 chicken breasts, and refrigerate the leftover chicken).
- Put the lid on the pot, and set the valve to "sealing."
- Press poultry, and adjust the time to 5 minutes using the - or + buttons.
- If you are using a pizza crust that needs to be cooked, now is the time to get it in the oven!
- If the other ingredients aren't chopped and shredded, do that now!
- When the chicken finishes, set the valve to 'venting' for a quick release (QR).
- Chop or shred the chicken.
- Mix cumin and cinnamon with salsa, and spread mixture on crust.
- Sprinkle 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese over the salsa.
- Sprinkle onions, green olives, dried cranberries, and chicken on top of the cheese.
- Top with remaining cheese, and sprinkle cilantro on top.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove, slice, and enjoy!
I don't like olives at all, but they are FABULOUS on this pizza. Don't leave them out!
Add slivered or sliced almonds for a delightful crunch! Prep time is during the Instant Pot cook time. www.sistersunderpressure.com
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet? Check out all of the details here!